Apply 3 Easy Steps

Start Your Application Now In 3 Easy Steps

These are currently mostly for Kwa-Zulu Natal! An updated version will be published soon!

Liquor license types, to know what type will work for you, you first need to know the difference between the type liquor licenses. Then choose the one that will suite your need the best.

Liquor license types are grouped in four categories:

  1. On – Consumption
    • Accommodation Liquor License
    • Restaurant Liquor License
    • Nightclub
    • Club
    • Gaming premises
    • Sports Ground
    • Pub
    • Tavern
    • Theatre
  2. Off – Consumption
    • Liquor Store
    • Grocer’s wine
  3. Micro Manufacture
  4. Special Events
liquor license types

The first license category we look at is on-consumption types, these liquor license types have the most variation. A common requirement for all on-consumption license types, are toilet facilities for ladies and gents. The main difference between the on-consumption liquor license types, lies within the facilities you have available. Then other differences are trading hours and yearly renewal fees.

Accommodation liquor license

This type of license is when your main source of income will arise from customers paying to sleep over. These facilities are known as, Bed and Breakfast, Hotel, Lodge and Motel.

This liquor license type has a yearly license renewal fee of R 2 400.00 and trading hours are limited to, every day from 10h00 – 02h00.

Accommodation facilities must include: a kitchen, rooms for overnight stay and a dining room or Lounge.

Restaurant Liquor License

In the case of a restaurant license, the most important condition to which a restaurant license must comply, is that the main source of income is from the sale of food.

For a restaurant license the yearly liquor license renewal fee is R 2 400.00 and trading hours are limited to, every day from 10h00 – 02h00.

Other restaurant license condition includes the requirement of a fully functional kitchen and a food menu available at all times. Businesses with restaurant licenses are not allowed to play loud music.


Nightclubs run later than other outlets and therefore a nightclub license enjoys extended trading hours. Nightclubs may sell alcoholic beverages, on a Nightclub license, until 04:00.

A nightclub is clearly different from the other liquor outlet types, as it is fitted with a stage for live music and one or two dance floors. Keeping that in mind, a nightclub license will only be granted in a situation where the primary income is generated from entertainment.

The yearly license renewal fee is R 4 800.00. A business with a nightclub license is allowed to trade daily between 10h00 – 04h00.

A nightclub license does allow loud music. There are limits imposed by law, directly by the local municipality. On average the limit is set to around 95db. A nightclub’s music may never cause a disturbance to nearby premises.


A pub licensed business is an establishment licensed to sell alcoholic drinks. A pub offers a relaxed environment, fitted for social drinking and conversation. A pub license requires the business to generate an income primarily from the sale of alcoholic beverages.

The yearly license renewal fee, for a business licensed with a pub license, is R 4 800.00 and allowed trading hours is daily from 10h00 – 02h00.


A tavern is a business place that provides patrons with alcoholic beverages and food. In this case the legal condition that allows approval of the liquor license requires the main source of income to arise from the sale of alcohol.

To renew a tavern license cost R 1 000.00 per year and trading hours allowed is daily from 10h00 – 24h00.

Bottle store (Off-Consumption)

A bottle store is defined, as a shop that sells a big variety of alcoholic drinks. The sold product may not be consumed on the licensed premises and must leave the business sealed. This also applies to grocer’s wine licenses.

Bottle stores and grocers have the same trading hours, they are as follows:

  • Monday – Friday 08h00 – 20h00
  • Saturday 08h00 – 17h00
  • Sunday 10h00 – 15h30

The yearly license renewal fee is R 4 800.00 for a Liquor Store and R 2 400.00 for a Grocer’s wine license. A grocer’s wine license, allow you to sell only wine from within a Grocer/Supermarket.


In conclusion, the differences in license types applies to, trading hours and the yearly renewal fees. Another important point is that your premises must be suitable, for the type of license you apply for.

277 thoughts on “Different liquor license types? Which one to get.”

Feel free to ask us questions.